Summer weather makes it possible to spend lots of time outdoors. Going to the park, hiking in the mountains, or swimming at the local pool are all activities that are more enjoyable in warm weather.
As outdoor temperatures rise, you will find that you share the great outdoors with a variety of insects. Some of these insects can pose a serious health risk. Getting stung by a bee is never a fun experience, but it can be life-threatening for those who are allergic to bee stings.
There are three types of reactions that can occur when you are stung by a bee. Being familiar with these reactions will allow you to determine when you need to seek medical attention.
1. Normal Reaction
Most people experience a normal reaction when stung by a bee. Normal reactions result in pain, swelling, and redness at the site of the sting. These types of reactions do not require medical attention.
Be sure to remove the stinger using a credit card or the dull side of a knife. Pulling on the stinger with tweezers can cause the stinger to release more venom, extending your discomfort. It's also important that you don't scratch at a bee sting, as this can lead to an infection that could require a trip to the doctor's office.
2. Local Reaction
In some cases, a person might experience a more severe reaction to a bee sting. These reactions produce the same types of symptoms as a normal reaction, but the symptoms affect a larger area.
For example, if you are stung on the hand, you might notice swelling and redness throughout your arm. As long as the swelling or redness doesn't spread to other areas of your body, you should wait a few days for the local reaction to subside.
3. Allergic Reaction
The most severe type of reaction you can have when stung by a bee is an allergic reaction. These reactions are characterized by an itchy rash that covers your entire body, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the face, throat, and tongue. An allergic reaction can also cause you to feel dizzy or experience a sudden drop in blood pressure.
All allergic reactions require immediate medical attention to stop the spread of symptoms. It's possible for someone who is allergic to a bee sting to die within minutes of being stung, so always carry an epinephrine shot that you can administer to delay the onset of a serious allergic reaction until you can get help.
Check out a website like http://www.oakbrookallergists.com for more information and assistance.